How can I make 2016 MY year?
I pondered this question (which came from a writing prompt for a blog hop) for a while, trying to think of something interesting to write. I could re-hash 5 different ways to improve my finances in 2016 as part of my big plans to get financially fit. I could focus on 5 ways to avoid failing at my financial goals, or 5 goals selected from my big list of goals for 2016. But I made a different choice.
It’s not about me!
5 ways to make 2016 my year? I think I’ll start by taking ME out of it!
I often get so caught up in my own problems and worries, that I begin to isolate myself from the rest of the world. I focus on whatever is stressing me out and I don’t do much else. I’m less social, I stay home, I don’t put a lot of thought into holidays and birthdays, I basically retreat inward.
In 2016 I am challenging myself to get out of my own head, despite my personal worries and goals. I will make 2016 extra special for 5 very important people in my life. I can’t make all 366 days (yes, 2016 is a leap year) of their year extra special, but I can intentionally surprise them and show them extra love throughout the next twelve months.
Here are my 5 VIP’s:
Always at the top of my list!
- Set up a babysitter so we can go to a movie together on one of his days off (as a surprise!)
- Write him love letters
- Surprise him with a visit to his work (with our cute boys in tow)
- Buy him something, out of the blue (his love language is definitely gifts)
- Figure out a way to make him love Christmas again! (last year was really tough)
My two boys are very young and so easy to please! They truly just want my time, my attention, and for me to play with them.
- Spend an entire day with my cell phone and laptop turned off while they are awake
- Read as many books as they want at bedtime (usually we stop at 3 0r 4)
- Do something really, really messy (lot’s of ideas on Pinterest).
- Go to extra fun places like our local children’s museum, splash pad, dinosaur park (not real dinosaurs), and animal park (real animals this time).
- Play outside more often!
My mom became a widow at the end of 2014, and I worry about her constantly. I need to really step it up and make sure she is well taken care of.
- Send her flowers, just because
- Have her grandbabies hand make her a card
- Take her out to lunch or coffee (my treat)
- Call her just to check on her (we text more than calling the last few years)
- Make her a brag book of photos to carry around in her purse
- Write her a letter thanking her for being a great mom
- Help her out by cleaning her house
- Ask her directly what she wants/needs
The Rest of My Family
Cheating a little here and lumping a few VIP’s together. The rest of my immediate family includes my step kids, my sister, my nephew, and my in-laws. How can I make them feel extra special?
- Make a scrapbook or photo book for my nephew’s sixteenth birthday (coming up fast!)
- Go watch my nephew play basketball
- Send my sister flowers at work, just because
- Visit my sister at work (with her adorable nephews in tow)
- Send a “just because” care package to the in-laws (in a different state)
- Send a “just because” care package to my step-kids (also in a different state)
- Do something kind for my step-kids bio mom (happy mom=happy kids!)
I’d like to make the day of a few strangers in 2016. Thinking of a few random acts of kindness.
- Compliment a helpful store employee (to their manager if possible)
- Donate clothes, blankets and snacks to the NICU at our local hospital
- Drop some homemade goodies off to the local police department
I have shared openly about my financial struggles on this blog. I hesitated slightly while writing this post, because many of the first ideas that came to mind for making others feel special cost money. Fun activities, gifts, special trips, craft supplies, really memorable surprises – most of these things are not free. Can I do this without breaking the bank?
I will stick to my financial fitness plan and my goals in 2016, while still finding ways to shower love on my VIP’s, but it will take some creativity for sure! If you have any ideas for me, I’d love to hear them. One thing I can do is use the giftcards I earn through Swagbucks and Ibotta, but I’m open to other ideas as well!
Want to Read More Ways to Make 2016 “My” Year?
I have joined a group of great bloggers who are all writing on the topic of “5 Ways to Make 2016 My Year” or “Reverse Bucket List.” I hope you will check out their blogs (listed below) for a fresh perspective and some new ideas for making 2016 an amazing year. These bloggers are from all over the globe and some of them are down right amazing! I almost didn’t finish my post because I got so caught up clicking around on their sites! Happy reading!
Eve at Mrs and Momma
Hena at Soul Searcher Mom
Arnitris at Blessed Be the Tie
Elanor at Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys
Jayne at Kids, Kicks and Clothbums
Jeanine at Jsack’s Mom’s Blog
Sara at Cooks With 5 Kids
Tamkia at Parent Xpress
Elizabeth at Mommy Gone Tropical
Liz at Western New Yorker
Kate at A Kreative Whim
Leah at Life Lemons and Lemonade
Katie at Hello, Little Bean
Laci at Sequins in the South
Beck at Beck List
Leah at Messy Cutting Board
Aileen at Aileen Cooks
I’m happiest when the people I love are happiest! So that’s how I will make 2016 my year! How about you? What 5 things are you trying in 2016?