Baby R’s Birth Story | NICU Mom Series Intro.


To kick off  a new series on my blog aimed at helping moms of Neonatal Intensive Care babies, I wanted to share how I (very unexpectedly) became a NICU mom myself.  This is the story of my youngest son R’s fast and furious birth.

NICU birth story

I never wrote a birth story with my first son C. His birth was a natural vaginal delivery, in a hospital, with the support of my husband and a doula. C arrived five days past my due date. It was a thirteen hour labor, with some really bad tearing that I took a long time to recover from, and a perfectly healthy baby. C’s birth was a long and exhausting experience, but it was also empowering. I felt like superwoman during and afterwards!

My second born, R, decided to be different from his big brother in every way! I had a check up on my due date, Tuesday February 24th, and brought my mom along. Because I made it to my due date, I was given a standard non-stress test. The test revealed I was having a few minor contractions but that the baby was perfectly fine. My entire pregnancy up to this point had been healthy and uneventful. My doctor checked me and I was barely two centimeters dilated at 11 am. He had me make a follow up appointment for early the next week but said he wouldn’t likely see me for it. I felt excited that I would be meeting my baby sometime in the next few days!

After my appointment, I went to lunch at Panera with my mom and then home to take a nap. As she was dropping me off I asked my mom if she would like to be present at the delivery. My father had recently passed away and I thought it would be a special gesture to have my mom at the birth. She said yes!

My nap didn’t last long. At 3:39 pm I noted in my iPhone that I thought I was in labor. I was having what I described as “waves of cramps.” I called my husband to tell him and he decided to come home right away (good decision). I decided to start timing things with an app I had downloaded on my phone and discovered my contractions were less than two minutes apart. My pain level increased pretty rapidly. I got sick several times and knew I wanted to get to the hospital ASAP. I was feeling very scared and like I wouldn’t be able to handle natural labor this time around. Little did I know I was almost done!

The drive to the hospital was super uncomfortable, with lot’s of quick and painful contractions and me screaming through each one. My husband was impressively calm during the drive, but later he told me I didn’t notice his white knuckles gripping the steering wheel. Part of my screaming was telling him that I would want “all of the drugs” this time!

I bolted from our spot in the hospital parking garage down the long hall to labor and delivery. At the check in desk I had a contraction while gripping a chair as the receptionist asked my name. Immediately I dropped to my knees with a second contraction and my water broke all over the floor. The water was dark brown with meconium.

Nurses instantly appeared with a wheelchair and they whisked me back into a delivery room. I jumped out of the chair and lunged towards the bed yelling that I needed to push. A nurse screamed “she has to get in the bed!” I leaned on the bed and pushed once still fully dressed. Then, my husband yanked my pants, underwear and shoes off. I was repeatedly asking for “help,” which was very scary for my husband. I was just in so much pain and thought something was wrong.

As it turns out I was already fully dilated and baby R was crowning. The doctor and nurses were scrambling to set the room up but just told me to push. It only took two pushes and R was out. I immediately felt a sense of relief, and I remember smiling. I couldn’t imagine tolerating that pain level for the same thirteen hours that I was in labor with my first son. I was so happy my labor was over and the baby was here.

R was born at 5:28pm, after only an hour and 50 minutes of labor. He was 7 lbs 8 oz and 20 inches long (slightly smaller than his big brother was at birth). The birth happened so quickly that my mom didn’t make it to the hospital in time.

I was so shocked and thrilled to be done! But the reaction in the room was not positive. I had my glasses off so I didn’t see the cord wrapped twice around the baby’s neck. He also didn’t cry right away. It seemed like a million people were in the room working on him, including doing CPR. It was terrifying. A nurse eventually brought him over for me to hold, but she never let go of him herself, and was holding a tiny oxygen mask near his face. When she explained that he was struggling to breath, I wanted them to take him away to get help right away! I looked at him for a few seconds before he left for the NICU.

Baby R in NICU day 1

A doctor arrived at my bedside to explain that R had suffered Meconium Aspiration Syndrome. She even mentioned that he might need to be flown to another hospital (luckily this didn’t happen). A nurse then asked me all of the admission questions that had been skipped over earlier due to my fast arrival. It was surreal sitting in that quiet, cold delivery room without a baby, not even wearing a hospital gown.

R looked beautiful and perfect  on the outside but was having some pretty serious lung issues on the inside. Our NICU stay ended up being 19 days total, and we didn’t get to hold him for the entire first week. We never expected to be NICU parents, and it was one of the most challenging times in our life so far. We made it through and R is home now.  He is a chunky, happy, almost 10 month old, but we will never forget his dramatic entrance into the world.

You Might Also Enjoy ...

(Visited 751 times, 1 visits today)


  1. Omg! I know that had to be a scary moment after he was born. Thank you for sharing such a personal story and it made me tear up. I’m so happy that your son is well now and he didn’t need to get lifted to the other hospital.
    Healing Mama recently posted…3 Ways to Add Value to Other People’s LifeMy Profile

    • It was just so shocking, since we had no warning that anything was wrong! Definitely the most stressful thing I have ever been through, but you look at him now and you’d never guess he was critically ill!

  2. This had me in tears towards the end. That’s so scary for you guys and baby! I can’t even imagine. And that’s crazy how fast it happened!! Glad baby is okay today!

  3. That must have been so scary. You never expect that to happen to your baby especially when you are full term. I’m so glad that he is a happy and healthy little baby now. Thanks for sharing such a personal story!
    Kam Kay recently posted…Super Easy Red Velvet Crinkle CookiesMy Profile

  4. Oh my gosh you could write books! I was literally jumping ahead – this was intense! I’m so so SO happy he is a happy, thriving little (almost) one-year-old now. That must have been incredibly hard and as a mom that made me tear up at the thought of not holding my little guy for a whole week. My son and I were admitted for 3 days with RSV and THOSE were so tough for me so I really can’t imagine the depth of the your feels on that one. A story like this is important to share 🙂 Especially since it sounds like your pregnancy was spectacular! Thanks for sharing this with us. 🙂

    • Aww thanks Ginger! I’m glad you read it and I’m sure your three day hospital stay was just as hard! Any time our kids are sick is terrible!!

  5. Isn’t it just the last thing you expect, to end up in NICU, when you have a totally uneventful pregnancy?! My first (and only so far) also came very quickly and a month early after a normal pregnancy and he spent 3 weeks in hospital. We were totally unprepared for his arrival and the circumstances of it, but we’ll certainly be expecting the unexpected if we’re lucky enough for a number 2. I really enjoyed reading your story as I could relate to so much of it 🙂

    • I’m both sorry and glad you could relate Robyn! 🙂 I hate for anyone to experience a baby in the hospital. Fingers crossed for baby # 2 for you! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by.

  6. You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write.
    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are
    not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.
    work from home jobs recently posted…work from home jobsMy Profile

  7. How scary! Neither of my boys cried right away, and I was a nervous wreck until I heard the screams. It felt like eternity!

    I’m so happy to hear that everything worked out well for you. There are so many sad stories that it’s nice to hear a good one about the NICU. Thanks for sharing!
    Hannah | Eat, Drink, and Save Money recently posted…Itching to redecorate + WISWMy Profile

    • Thanks for reading Hannah! My first didn’t cry immediately either and I was so scared! The labor was so intense with R that I was elated it was over and didn’t notice at first that he hadn’t cried or that everyone in the room was so somber. My poor husband did notice immediately and was worried he would have to give me bad news. 🙁

  8. I loved reading about your birth story! I just finished my Neonatal Resuscitation Program training and am working on a blog post to help parents understand what is happening when their baby needs help breathing! It is such a scary and time sensitive issue that there is often a disconnect between parents and what is going on with their newborn baby! So glad everything ended up working out for you and your little man!!

    • Thanks Tori! I can’t wait to read your post, that sounds so interesting. It’s a tough spot to be in, I wanted to ask questions but I also didn’t want to do anything that would keep the medical professionals from doing their job!

  9. Wow. That all sounds pretty traumatic, although the speed of his birth probably didn’t give you any time to think about it until afterwards. Well done for being so brave and sharing your story with others too.

    Sally @ Life Loving

  10. I am so impressed with your story, it had me itching to jump foreward, and you touched on some things that had the hair standing up on my arms waiting for you to tie it all together. I am so glad that you are ok, but what a traumatic birth story, you are all so lucky to have made it. Your husband did so well under pressure, everyone else seemed to be stunned, he took charge, what a great guy, his heart had to be pounding out of his chest!!! And this wasn’t really that long ago, I’m glad that you are able to tell it and that your boy is almost a whole year old! I pinned and stumbled this I think that many others could be helped by your story. Thanks for sharing it!!!

    • Thanks Nikki! It’s selfish, but I think sharing this story helps me the most! I need to process all that happened. Thanks for sharing!! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge